About Car Hire Excess Insurance
  • What effect does Brexit have on my Car Hire Excess policy?

    Regardless of how the UK leaves the EU, your Eversure Excess policy will still cover you in the same way it always has. This is because we don't cover the car, or the rental company, we cover you. Seeing as you'll still be a UK resident regardless of what happens with Brexit, you'll still be covered to reclaim your excess charges.

    To be very clear, your policy will still respond.

    What may change is the validity of your driving licence. You will need an International Driving Permit to supplement your driving licence after 28th March 2019 and you'll need to go to a Post Office in person to buy one of these.

    Remember to take your photo-card driving licence, your passport, a passport sized photo and £5.50 and you'll be able to get one over the counter.

    Without one of these, you may be driving illegally and our policy would not respond in these circumstances.

    If you're hiring in the EU after Brexit, you won't need a Green Card. This is a document that your UK vehicle insurer can provide you if you're taking your own vehicle into Europe. It proves you're insured and that your UK insurer has extended cover to Europe. Obviously, you don't need one of these if you're hiring because it's the rental company providing the vehicle insurance for you.

  • I'm not married to my partner, can I add them to my annual policy?

    Yes, providing your partner permanently resides at the same address as you.  

    Family members named on your policy can also hire cars independently of each other, but NOT at the same time.

What is Covered?
  • Is damage to tyres, windscreen and undercarriage covered?

    Yes, we specifically refer to damage to auto glass, as well as damage to the roof, tyres and underbody of the Rental Vehicle in our Policy Wording as these are usually specifically excluded by the rental companies. It's under section 1. Excess Reimbursement & Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). Please see a screenshot below:



  • Do you cover ZipCar rentals?

    We cover car clubs that own their vehicles. So we do cover Zipcar, because essentially whilst they call themselves a car-club, they aren't really. It's just a way of renting a vehicle for a short period of time.

    What we don't cover is car clubs where a group of people share their private cars. 

  • Does the policy cover for windscreen damage, tyres or underbody?

    Yes, we specifically refer to damage to auto glass, as well as damage to the roof, tyres and underbody of the Rental Vehicle in our Policy Wording as these are usually specifically excluded by the rental companies.

  • Are lost keys covered?

    Yes, in the event that you are charged a fee for loss of keys we will reimburse you.

  • Does this insurance cover Fly-Drive?

    Yes, if the rental vehicle comes from a bona fide car rental company.

  • Am I covered for driving on unsealed and/or private roads?

    Various hire car companies will apply restrictions for where you can drive their rental vehicles. Many car hire companies have stipulated that their rental vehicles are not to be driven on unsealed roads. If this is the case and you drive the rental vehicle on an unsealed road, then our policy will be invalidated. However, provided the car hire company agrees that you may drive on unsealed roads and they are a public highway then the excess is covered by our policy.

    Our policy will only cover you for driving on public highways. Therefore, all roads not intended for normal public use are not covered by our policy. Driveways to accommodation, such as hotels, where you are staying are intended for normal public use and so are covered.

  • What's the longest single trip policy I can buy?

    We sell single trip policies for those who aren't looking for year round cover. Whilst it's worth noting that Annual policies can be cheaper if you're hiring for more than 14 days, we sell single trip cover for rentals up to 180 days.

  • What's the most expensive car I can hire?

    We'll provide excess reimbursement insurance for vehicles you rent that are worth up to £65,000 when new. No hiring Ferraris and Lamborghini's now!

  • Does my Eversure Car Hire Excess policy cover breakdown?

    Eversure does not cover you for charges relating to breakdown of your rental car, and we don't provide breakdown as part of this policy. This is because we expect the rental company to maintain their cars and make sure they're roadworthy.

  • Travelling to Iceland

    We get asked quite often about this.

    We do cover dust and ash damage providing you were driving on a public highway. We don't cover off-roading though. Whilst some of the roads in Iceland are 'unmade' they are still signposted, and you are expected to ensure that you stay on these roads.

  • Am I covered if I use the car for business?


    If you use your rental car for commuting from one office to another, or from meeting to meeting this is fine as long as you're not carrying any goods or stock for that business (ie, you can't be using the car for deliveries).


    Private Hire/Taxi services

    We won't cover any damage to a rental you're using to charge fares (whether for business or from just one friend to another.

  • Do you cover personal possessions?

    If your personal possessions are stolen following forced entry into the rental vehicle, you can claim up to £300 (£75 per item).

    This will cover the repair of damaged items, or the cost of replacing them. We will normally reduce this amount by a percentage to take into account wear and tear due to age and the full details of this deduction can be found on our policy wording under section 2.

    You should also be aware that there are exclusions which we won't pay for. You should check the policy wording for more information.

  • What if damage occurs in a Car Park when I'm not there?

    You are covered for damage that happens when you leave the car unattended, say in a car park or parked on the street provided you have left the vehicle in a designated parking space and paid the relevant fees (if applicable).

    When claiming for these scenarios, you clearly won't be able to give an accurate description of exactly what happened, but you should provide as much information as you can. 

    • Date/Time
    • Weather conditions at the time
    • How long the car was left unattended
    • Exact location (include road/car park name)
    • A detailed description of the damage
    • How you came to find the damage
    • Photos of the location and of the damage

    We ask for this information so that we can better understand the circumstances and speed up your claim.

  • Are there any age limits?

    Yes: You must be aged between 21-84 at the start date of your policy for cover to apply.

  • Are additional drivers covered?

    Provided you're the policy holder and the lead driver on the rental agreement, any additional drivers are automatically covered as long as they are also listed on the rental agreement. 

    They must, of course, meet our age requirements and hold a valid internationally recongised driving licence. However, unlike the policy holder, they don't need to be UK residents or hold a UK bank account. This is because in the event that the vehicle is damaged, you are still held responsible for this damage, and you would be expected to pay for the damage. In the event of a claim, we will only reimburse the policy holder, so it's important that it is the policy holder that pays for the damage.

  • My driving licence shows an old address?

    If your driving licence shows your old address, you'll need to get that changed.

    It's imperative that your licence matches your policy and the rental agreement.


  • What types of vehicles are not covered?

    The vehicle must not be a motor home, trailer, caravan, van, truck, non-passenger carrying vehicle, vehicle that carries more than 9 people including the driver, motorcycle, moped, motorbike, off-road* or recreational vehicle.

    The vehicle must not have a retail price in excess of £65,000 (or currency equivalent), and not be more than 10 years old.

    * 4x4 vehicles are not excluded if they are being driven on public highways and not going off-road.

  • Can you cover courtesy cars or car club cars?

    The Car Club must be licensed in the United Kingdom to provide vehicles for hire and the vehicle must meet our definition of a 'Rental Vehicle'. The vehicle may NOT be privately owned. Please read the Policy Wording for further information.

    In the event of a claim you must be able to provide a damage report from the Car Club including copy invoices, receipts or other documents confirming the amount you have paid in respect of the damage to the hired vehicle for which you are seeking reimbursement and, where possible, photographs of the damage. You must also be able to provide a copy of your membership Agreement and a copy of the repair invoice from the repairing garage. Please also see our Policy Wording for details of how to Claim.

  • Can you cover vehicles such as Mercedes Vito luxury 9 seater vans?

    Yes, these vehicles are covered under our Eversure policy. 9 seats including the driver is the maximum we can provide for. Please note that we cannot cover minibuses or commercial vehicles.


Claims Process
  • Is there an excess to pay on the Car Hire Excess policy if I make a claim?

    No, there is not an excess to pay on the policy.

  • The car rental company is making me pay for a scratch that I did not do?

    Unfortunately this happens quite often especially in relation to minor scratches and bumps. You should challenge the claim, in the first instance you can do this through your credit card company disputes team. 

  • How do I make a claim?

    You need to complete our online form and follow our Policy Wording or the guide that we have on our website.

    It usually takes around 30 days from start to finish to process your claim, assuming we have all of the documentation we need and we don't need to conduct additional investigation.

    You should be aware that we may well request the original documentation be sent to us if your claim is of high value (usually over £1000). In these circumstances, you should still complete the online form and wait for us to request these.

    Remember that any documentation you send to us should always include your policy number for reference.

    You can find the online claim form by clicking this link

  • What happens if my excess on the car rental is higher than your limit of £5,000?

    Our policy can only pay out maximum excesses of £5,000 during the lifetime of the policy.

  • If the Car Hire company charges me admin fees to administer the claim will you cover these?

    Yes we will treat admin fees as part of the claim.

  • I'm struggling with your online claim form, what can I do?

    All claims do need to be submitted through our online form. This is so that we can make sure we've collected all the information we need from you before we start your claim in our system. It also provides you the opportunity to make sure you get the chance to tell us as much as you can about what happened.

    For this reason, it's really important that you take some time to fill this in and don't rush it. There are documents that we must receive from you, so there is little point in submitting a form with any of the required documents missing.

    Once we receive a completed claim, we usually get it turned around within 30 days. So it's worth taking the time to get your bit right.

  • I have an annual policy, do I need to notify you when I hire a car?

    No, we do not need to be notified every time you hire a car.  In the event of a claim your rental agreement will confirm your dates of hire which is adequate information.

  • What countries are covered by the Worldwide policy?

    The worldwide policy will cover all countries except:

    Trips in, to or through Afghanistan, Belarus, Burma, Congo, Crimea/Ukraine, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Myanmar, Sudan and Zimbabwe.

    Any claim relating to travel to any country, or region thereof, in the world where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued a Travel Advisory against all travel, or all but essential travel, to such country or region. (A list of these countries can be seen on their website www.fco.gov.uk).

  • Are there any countries you don't cover?

    We do not provide cover for any trips in, to or through Afghanistan, Belarus, Burma, Congo,

    Crimea/Ukraine, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, North Korea, Myanmar, Sudan and Zimbabwe.

    Neither do we provide cover for any trip to any country, or region thereof, in the world where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has issued a Travel Advisory against all travel, or all but essential travel, to such country or region. A list of these countries can be seen on their website.

  • Am I covered for hiring a vehicle in the Channel Islands?

    Rentals in The Channel Islands (and the Isle of Mann) are covered under all our policies. But you must be a UK resident to purchase our policy. Residents of the Isle of Mann and Channel Islands may NOT purchase our policy.

  • Does the policy cover car rental in the UK?

    Yes, all our policies cover rentals in the UK, Channel Islands, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Mann. But you must be a UK resident to purchase our policy. Residents of the Isle of Mann and Channel Islands may NOT purchase our policy.

  • Which countries are covered?

    European cover will cover you in:

    • Andorra
    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Gibraltar
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Liechtenstein
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Monaco
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • San Marino
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • United Kingdom
    • Channel Islands
    • Isle of Mann
    • The Azores
    • The Canary Islands
    • Islands in the Mediterranean
    • Madeira

    For all other countries, you will need to purchase Worldwide cover, this includes the Faroe Islands and Turkey.


Purchasing a Policy
  • What is the difference between Worldwide and CDW Excess Plus?

    Our standard Worldwide policy covers you for the excess in respect of any damage to, or loss of, the car that you’re responsible for up to the excess limit stated on your policy with us, which is £5,000.

    If you’re visiting the USA or Canada (and some other countries as well), you’ll find a lot of rental companies won’t include CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), and will ask you if you wish to purchase this from them. The rental market in these territories is a bit different and many people choose to get their cover from 3rd party suppliers such as credit-card companies.  Our CDW Excess Plus policy offers cover up to US $50,000 which will cover you up to this amount, should you choose not to take out the Car Rentals company CDW. 

    The CDW Excess Plus can only be purchased when you are hiring in the USA or Canada.

  • Am I eligible to purchase your policy?

    We can provide a policy to any person who:  

    • is aged between 21 and 84 years (inclusive). 
    • holds a valid and internationally recognised driving licence. 
    • is eligible to hire and drive the Rental Vehicle and able to adhere to the terms of the Car Rental Agreement. 
    • is not subject to a current driving ban. • is not driving against the advice of a medical practitioner. 
    • is a permanent resident in the United Kingdom (as determined by the guidelines laid out in the government Statutory Residence Test), or 

    • ▪ is an EEA national exercising a ‘treaty right to seek and take up work’, and can demonstrate that they have a ‘right to reside’ (can legally live in the United Kingdom) and are ‘habitually resident’ (this is the place where they normally live) in the United Kingdom.
    •  ▪ is currently employed as a Crown Servant or Overseas Civil Servant (or their spouse or civil partner) holding a valid United Kingdom passport and they include their United Kingdom address with their application. 
    • ▪ is a non-EEA national legally resident in the United Kingdom due to the existence of a visa, providing that the Period of Insurance does not go beyond the expiry of their visa. 

  • Will my policy cover additional drivers who are not UK residents?

    Yes, the policy will extend to cover additional international drivers providing they hold a valid and internationally recognised driving license and they are named as additional drivers on the rental agreement.

  • My payment details have changed, how do I update these?

    If your payment details have changed, you will need to provide us with your new card details.  You can do this by clicking the payment link within your email renewal invitation - this will take you to our website where you can submit new payment details.

    Alternatively, you can call us on 0330 094 5255 to provide new payment details.  Please note we do not store your card details on our system, only the last four digits, so payment for the renewal will be completed once you have given us these.  

  • I have purchased a policy, where is my receipt?

    We do not issue separate receipts, your certificate of insurance is your receipt as this details the amount you have paid along with the Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

  • When will my cover start and how do I get my documents?

    Your cover may start in the future or as soon as you make payment. It is important to note that our cover MUST start before you collect the hire car.

    Documents are sent by email, due to internal spam controls we do not recommend that you use your employer's email address and if your documents do not arrive within a few minutes please check your Junk or Spam folder first.

    If you still cannot locate your documents please complete the contact us form.

    We will reply during normal business hours. Sending us an email should add us to your 'safe' email list and your Internet Service Provider should now allow our email through. We are, of course, available during normal office hours if you need help. In the unlikely event that we cannot get an email through to you, please notify us and we will post documents.

    You do not need our documents before you collect your car, you simply need to purchase and arrange for our cover to start before you collect your car.

  • Does the car hire company need to see my Certificate of Insurance?

    No. Our policy, subject to the terms & conditions of the Policy Wording, reimburses you for the amounts that are taken by your car hire company from your credit card. In the event of an excess deduction by your car hire company you need to ensure that you collect all the documents and evidence as described in our Policy Wording. When you return home you reclaim the excess deductions from us.

    They may still try and sell you their additional excess waiver policy, but you may simply decline as you are covered. The coverage is between Eversure and yourself and so the car rental company does not need to approve it.

  • Are my credit or debit card details safe?

    When it comes to making a payment you will be sent to a secure encrypted page which is operated by SagePay. Sage Pay was founded in 2001 and known as one of the most trusted payment companies in Europe.

    We do not hold your credit or debit card details, only they do.

  • I've extended my car rental and my Single Trip policy is due to expire and you're not open - what can I do?

    If you have SINGLE TRIP cover, your cover needs extending and your cover is going to expire before we are next open, i.e. it is the weekend, a public holiday or before 09:00 or after 17:30 (outside of office hours), the only option available to you is to buy another policy from our website BEFORE your existing covers expires. In order to maintain continuous cover, this additional policy must start immediately after your existing cover expires and cannot come to an end until after the hire car has been returned. Please see our Terms of Business under 'Cover Information' for further details.

  • How many trips does the annual policy cover you for ?

    You may have as many car rental agreements as you like during the Annual Policy as long as the maximum trip length (term of the rental agreement) does not exceed that stated on your certificate of insurance. Remember, our policy can only pay out maximum excesses of £5,000 during the lifetime of the policy although you may make multiple claims up to this limit.

  • Can I upgrade my policy?

    You may upgrade you cover at any time provided that this before your rental agreement commences.

  • What methods of payment does Eversure accept?

    We accept all major credit and debit cards including Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and American Express. We do not charge surcharges.

  • What happens if I have to make changes to my policy or cancel it shortly after I have purchased?

    We do not charge Mid Term Adjustment or Cancellation fees if an alteration to cover is requested. We only charge what is due for any additional cover. There are no Cancellation Rights for single trip policies under 30 days and in the event that you cancel an annual policy after the 14 day cooling-off period then you will receive a pro-rata refund.

  • I am an annual policyholder. What happens at renewal?

    Regardless as to whether or not you have kept the Automatic Renewal option, we will always write to you at least 28 days in advance of your renewal date advising what action is required if any. If you have opted for auto-renewal we will renew your policy unless you advise us not to.

    If you've decided that you don't want your policy to renew, you can contact us at any time to have this removed from your policy. Send us a message with your policy number and request and we'll do this for you. You'll need to put this in writing rather than call.

  • Who are Feefo?

    Feefo are an independent ratings and reviews provider. We employ them to independently gather reviews about our Car Hire Excess Reimbursement Insurance and these are anonymously published in the Public Domain.

    If you click Feefo's logo on our home page you may read about what our customers have to say about Eversure.

    If you purchase, feefo will also send you a follow-up email and ask you to provide a Review for Eversure. This takes less than a minute, your name will not appear in the Public Domain and we really appreciate all feedback.

  • Why has my policy automatically renewed and what can I do about it?

    Before you purchased your annual policy, you were asked to read and agree to some important information about your policy and it's automatic renewal. In doing so, you agreed that we could renew your policy using the same payment details you provided during purchase.

    At least 28 days before your policy expires we will have sent an email to the email address you provided at purchase. This email detailed the expiry date of your current policy and the cost of your renewal. It also explained that unless you wanted to make changes, you didn't need to do anything else.

    By renewing, you maintain your cover and assuming you didn't make a claim in the previous year, you benefit from a renewal discount.

    If you still don't want to keep your new policy, you can cancel it by sending us a message with your policy details requesting the cancellation. We'll refund you in full if you do this within 14 days. If it's later, we'll provide you a pro-rated refund for the unused time left.

  • I've changed my mind and I don't want my policy, what can I do?

    Applicable to Single Trip Policies of up to and including 30 days duration

    1 Statutory Cancellation Rights – Cooling-Off Period

    There are no statutory cancellation rights under this Policy, as all periods of cover will have ended within a period of thirty (30) days from the date of commencement.

    2 Your Right to Cancel

    You are entitled to cancel this Policy by notifying Us through Eversure’s website, helpline or registered address. There will be no refund of premium.


    Applicable to Single Trip Policies of over 30 days duration and Annual Policies

    1 Your Right to Cancel during the Cooling-Off Period

    You are entitled to cancel this Policy by notifying Us through Eversure’s website, helpline or registered address within fourteen (14) days of either:

    1. the date You receive this Policy; or
    2. the start of Your Period of Insurance;

    whichever is the later.

    A full refund of any premium paid will be made unless You have made a claim in which case the full premium is due.

    2 Your Right to Cancel after the Cooling-Off Period

    You are entitled to cancel this Policy after the cooling-off period by notifying Us through Eversure’s website, helpline or registered address. Any return of premium due to You will be calculated at a proportional daily rate depending on how long the Policy has been in force unless You have made a claim in which case the full premium is due.

    3 Our Right to Cancel

    We are entitled to cancel this Policy, if there is a valid reason to do so, including for example:

    1. any failure by You to pay the premium; or
    2. a change in risk which means We can no longer provide You with insurance cover; or
    3. non-cooperation or failure to supply any information or documentation We request, such as details of a claim;

    by giving You fourteen (14) days’ notice in writing. Any return of premium due to You will be calculated at a proportional daily rate depending on how long the Policy has been in force unless You have made a claim in which case the full premium is due.


    How to cancel your Eversure Car Hire Excess Insurance

    If you would like to cancel your cover, please get in touch using the contact us form.  We will usually process your cancellation within 2 working days and send a confirmation to the email address supplied. (Our opening hours are Mon–Fri 9am-5.30pm, excluding public holidays)

    Please note: Administration fees (where applicable) are not refundable.

  • I've got a discount code, where do I add this?

    Discount codes need to be added right at the end of the purchase process, just before you make payment. Your price will then be adjusted and reduced accordingly. It's really important to make sure you add this before you buy as it's not something we can add afterwards.

  • I need to change my details, how do I do this?

    Changing your policy couldn't be easier. Just send us a message with your existing details, your policy number and the changes you'd like to make, and we'll do that for you.

    You will need to send this from the email address we already have on record for you, as this is one of the ways we make sure that we're dealing with the policy holder.

    Things you can change:

    • Name (proof of change may be requested)
    • Address
    • Contact number
    • email address
    • Start dates of policies that haven't started
    • End dates of policies that haven't already ended
    • Additional lead drivers

    Please use our contact us page. REMEMBER to include your policy number.


  • I don't know what car hire company I'm using

    If you haven't booked your rental yet and you don't know which company you're going to use, or where you're going, don't worry. You don't have to complete this.

  • I'm in the British Armed Forces based outside of the UK, can I buy cover?

    Yes, you are able to purchase our policy.

    When purchasing you will need to provide us with your UK postal address so that any correspondence can be forwarded to the place where you are currently posted.

What's not covered?
  • Do you cover hires through Drivy?

    No, we cannot provide a policy because these are not rentals and don't carry the same rental agreements that we require for our cover. 

  • Do you cover Vehicle Subscription services like Drover?

    We do not cover vehicle subscriptions services because these are not rentals and don't carry the same rental agreements that we require for our cover. 

  • Are there any rental companies you don't cover?

    Our excess insurance covers all rental companies apart from one. We don't provide excess reimbursement for claims made as a result of rentals from GreenMotion. This is because we did some research and found that there was a much higher chance of being charged for damage (and a higher amount) by GreenMotion than with other rental companies.


  • Do you cover Vans/Motorhomes/Trucks?

    We don't cover any vehicle that isn't a car. To be really clear, that means we exclude:






    Modified vehicles

    Mini buses



    (that said, if you want cover for your spaceship, why not give us a call?)

  • I'm not from the UK, can I buy your cover?

    Afraid not, we're not authorised to sell insurance to non-uk residents (and this includes Channel Island residents). If you're in the UK on a visa, you'll need to be able to show that your visa afforded you the right to be in the UK for the full duration of your policy.

    You'll also need a UK bank account and UK address that you can show evidence of living at. As an extra check, our website will only accept payments from UK bank/credit accounts.

  • Am I covered in the Ukraine?

    We don't cover rentals in the Ukraine or Crimea at this time.

  • Can I get cover if I've already picked up my rental car?

    Unfortunately not.

    It's important that you have your insurance policy with us before you collect your rental car because it's the only way that we can be sure that you didn't damage the car and then decide to buy insurance to cover the cost. 

    As a result, in the event that you make a claim, we'll ask for documents that show the policy was in force before you collected the car (usually the rental agreement and your Eversure certificate of insurance).

  • Do you cover van rentals?

    No, we don't cover anything other than cars.